Sanford Rock Rapids Medical Center is located in Lyon County, Iowa. Within Sanford Rock Rapids Medical Center are the hospital Sanford Rock Rapids Medical Center, Sanford Rock Rapids Clinic, Sanford George Clinic, and Sanford Rock Rapids Fitness Center. We are pleased to be a member of Sanford USD Medical Center and Health Network in providing the very best in disease prevention, treatment, screening, education and healthcare wellness in this area.
Dedicated To The Work Of Health and Healing.
Improving the human condition through exceptional care, innovation and discovery.
Sanford Rock Rapids Medical Center (formerly known as Sanford Hospital Rock Rapids and Merrill Pioneer Community Hospital) welcomed its first patient in May 1958. The 16-patient room hospital was centered on inpatient care. Services offered at that time were surgery, emergency care, labor and delivery, nursery, lab and x-ray. Major expansion/renovations of the hospital were completed in 1975, 1982, and in 1990.
- 1975 - The first major remodeling and addition was made. The Pioneer Medical Center Clinic was built and attached to the hospital. Administration offices were added, the laboratory was relocated, and the business office was remodeled on the first floor. The pharmacy and meeting room were added to the lower level.
- 1982 - The second major remodeling was completed. A four bed monitored bed unit was added and the nurses station remodeled.
- 1990 - This renovation saw a change in the obstetrical department and nursery. Labor, Delivery, Recovery and Post-partum (LDRP) rooms were developed. Also, a second surgery room was added and the emergency room was relocated. An Outpatient area was constructed with exam rooms for outpatient specialists, a therapy area, and storage area.
- 1992 - A short-term (3-year) lease agreement with Sioux Valley Hospitals and Health System was entered into and continued until 1999.
- 1995 - The hospital facilitated the construction of Rock Rapids Kid’s Club.
- 1999 - A long-term (20-year) lease agreement with Sioux Valley Hospitals and Health System was signed.
- 1999 - The Pioneer Fitness Center, a department of the hospital was opened in the commons area of the old Central Lyon High School building, now known as the Central Lyon Activities Center.
- 2007 - The organization is becomes Sanford Merrill Medical Center and the hospital is now called Sanford Hospital Rock Rapids.
- 2010 - A merger between Sanford and Merit Care results in a new name for the organization: Sanford Rock Rapids Medical Center.